El amor es paciente, el amor es benigno. El amor no tiene envidia, no es jactancioso, no se envanece. No es rudo, no es egoista. El amor no se irrita, no guarda rancor. El amor no se alegra de la injusticia sino de la verdad. El amor todo lo sufre, todo lo cree, todo lo soporta. El amor nunca deja de ser.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth. It always perseveres. And now these three remain; faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Valentine's Day Trivia and Legends
Valentine's Day, a special day of the year set aside to honor love of all kinds, and especially romantic love. But do you know who Valentine was? Why was this special day set aside to honor St. Valentine?
Here are a variety of stories and legends . . .
1. Valentine was a Roman priest during the time of Claudis around AD269, who was martyred, then buried on the Flamian Way. He helped Christians during a time of persecution, was caught, put in jail, became a Christian, then was clubbed to death for this on February 14th, 269. While in prison, legend has it that he sent messages to friends saying "Remember your Valentine" and "I love you".
2. In another story, it is said that Valentine was a priest that secretly married couples, defying the Emperor Claudius who had temporary forbid marriages.
3. Valentine was jailed for refusing to worship pagan gods. Making friends with the Jailer's daughter, he is said to have cured her through prayer, and on the date of his execution (Feb. 14th), is said to have writter her a note signed "Your Valentine".
4. Or this 4th story is that Valentine was a bishop of Terni martyred in Rome.
The 14th of February has been set apart as the special day to remember St. Valentine. This was one day before the Roman Feast of Lupercalia, a pagan love festival. In 496 A.D. Pope Gelasius changed Lupercalia from the 15th to the 14th to try and stop the pagan festival. The church realized that there was nothing wrong with celebrating love, only the pagan elements were wrong. And so Valentine had become known as the patron of love.
Trivias y Leyendas del "Dia De San Valentin"
Traducida al Espan~ol por Olivia Pulido
En este dia tan especial lo invitamos a recordar a sus enamorados y aquellos que usted ama. Digalo con flores lo dicen todo sin decir una palabra. Dia de San Valentin, un dia especial del an~o dedicado a honrar todas las clases de amor. Especialmente el amor romantico. Pero, sabe usted quiere fue Valentin? Porque fue este dia especial para dedicar a honrar a San Valentin?
Aqui estan una varidad de historias y leyendas . . .
1. Valentin fue un sacerdote Romano en los tiempos de Claudius por los anos 269 AD fue martirizado y despues enterrado en la Flamian Avenida. El ayudo a los Cristianos durante el tiempo de la persecucion. Fue arrestado, puesto en la carcel, se hizo Cristiano despues fue asignado a muerte por esto en Febrero 14, 269 AD. Durante su estancia en prision, la leyenda se decia que el enviaba mensajes a sus amigos deciendo "Recuerden a su Valentin" y "Yo los Amo."
2. En otra historia, se decia que Valentin fue un sacerdote que casaba a las parejas en secreto defendiendoles del Emporador Claudius que tenia temporalmente prohibido los matrimonios.
3. Valentin fue puesto en la carcel por rechazar a adorar dioses paganos. Haciendo amistad con la hija del carcelero, se dijo que El la habia curado con sus oraciones, en el dia de su ejecucion (Feb.14), se dijo que le escribio una nota firmando "tu Valentin."
4. En esta cuarta historia se dicia que Valentin fue un obispo de Terni martirizado en Roma.
El 14 Feb. a sido asignado como el dia especial para recordar a San Valentin. Esto fue un dia antes de la Fiesta Romana de Lupercalia - un Festival de Amor Pagano. En 496AD el Papa Gelasius cambio Lupercalia de el dia 15 a el 14th para tratar de parar el festival pagano. La Iglesia se dio cuenta que no era nada malo con celebrar el Amor. Solo los elementos paganos estaban mal. Y es asi como Valentin se dio a conocer como el Patron de Amor.
A perfect way to express your love and admiration for your beloved on Valentine’s Day would be through Valentine Poems. Either quote from famous poets or pen down a few lines, love poems would surely let your valentine feel special and pampered. Wish Happy Valentine’s Day with love poems.Often enough, we are not able to express our feelings for our loved ones. So, on this Valentine let your loved ones know that you treasure your relationship with them by giving them Valentine gifts and cards. Valentine Poems are the poems that speak about the relationship of love.
Personalized Love Poem
This Valentine, send a personalized love poem to your beloved. Love itself is a song and the expression of love is poetic. A personalized valentine poem that is soaked in intense feelings and care are the best valentine gifts. These poems could be composed by your own or from the kitty of an accomplished poet.
Basics of Saint Valentine's Day - poetry, gifts, ideas and more!
Valentine's Day only comes once each year - but the love, passion and romance described can be enjoyed every day. Make a commitment to try something romantic at least once a week!
What Is Valentine's Day?
Some say the roots of Valentine's Day are with Saint Valentine, a Roman who was killed for his faith on February 14, 269 A.D. St. Valentine's Day happened to fall on the Roman festival of Lupercalia, a Roman festival of wolves in which men and women would choose partners for the day and celebrate fertility.
Over the centuries, February 14th has become firmly associated with love, romance and sweethearts in every country around the world. There are many traditions involved with Valentine's Day. In most countries it is a traditional day to become engaged. In Italy, it's a day when men and women listen to music together and share poetry. In Victorian England, elaborate Valentine's Day cards were shared with family and friends. In Germany, flowers were definitely expected!
The key to a tradition is that it comes from the heart. Valentine's Day is NOT about expensive jewelry or $100 bouquets of hot-house roses. It is about showing someone you really care, and that you have made or found a present for them that only your intimate knowledge of their personality could have known about. It's about that connection between two people, a connection that money can't buy.